Wednesday, July 22, 2009

What a Week!

We have had 1 crazy week!
My Mom had her 1st round of Chemo last weekend and went this past week to have her bloodcount checked several days, well the Doc told her that she would probably feel ok until about Wednesday and then that would be her bad day but Wed morning she woke up and said that she felt better than she had felt in weeks so we were praying that the Doc was just going to be wrong and she wasn't going to get sick, Well the Doc was right Thursday night shortly after she went to bed she started to feel bad and started running fever.
I took her to have her bloodcount checked Friday morning and she was so very sick, her blood count was 0.1 which was very very low.
I called the Transplant coordinator in Jackson and could not get in touch with her so we called the Transplant unit at the hospital because of the fever and they called Mom's Hemotologist and told her that Mom was running fever and they called me back shortly and asked how fast we could get to Jackson, I told them the it took 3 hours to get there and they said to get there as fast as we could, so My sister came and picked Mom & Dad up while I packed for them and us and then we headed to Jackson.
We arrived at the hospital Friday evening and they started her on antibiotics, I have never seen someone have to take SO MANY antibiotics in such a short period of time, She would finish 1 iv antibiotic and they would come hook up another one, we asked why she was taking so many antibiotics and they said that she would have to have EVERY antibiotic on the market so that they could try to knock out whatever it was that was causing her fever.
She has been a trooper this past weekend, She was so very sick and with all of the meds that she was on and all of the side effects from the chemo she has done great. Her fever broke around midnight Saturday night and the vomiting stopped soon after, Her blood count also jumped over night sat night it went from 0.4 to 17.7 which is awesome.
She was able to have the port put in her neck Monday evening and they did her 1st round of harvesting the stem cells this morning and Praise the Lord! they were able to get all of the stem cells plus some in 1 round instead of the 3 rounds they had planned on so she was released tonight from the hospital but is staying in Jackson tonight.
So I am so Excited that they will be home in the morning.
My Hubby & and I and the boys got home around midnight last night so that Isaac could go back to work today. So I have been busy today trying to get there house back in order before they get home tomorrow and my house back in order.
Please Continue to Pray for My Mom & Dad {James & Martha Barrow} because after this past week we now have an idea as to how bad this next chemo and the actual transplant are going to be.
We Really appreciate All of your Prayers.

5 comments:

Kelli @ RTSM said...

I'm glad your mom is doing better and that they got all the stem cells in one round! That is awesome! I hope she makes it home safely today and continues to feel alright! Let me know if I can do anything for you or you parents!

Jennifer W. said...

Praise God they got all the cells in one try! I hope she does well at home. Just call if you need anything.
Jen

The Ranew Family said...

I am praying for your mom and am glad that her count is up and she is getting to come home. Let me know if you need anything.

Leigh said...

Still praying! So glad things are better after a rough weekend!

He & Me + 3 said...

That is awesome about the cells... I will keep her in my prayers.